Monday, September 21, 2009

My Little Lucy Girl

Jenny told me a number of times this past week that I am two things. One, I'm an official contributor to this site. It's true; I have the log-in to prove it. Two is I'm lazy. So here I am with not much planned out for my first post. I have been thinking a lot about all the letters and calls and notes and emails from people letting us know they care. Please know that they mean the world to us. I didn't think we knew this many people. I didn't know Lucy was so popular at 4 months. She's like a Jonas brother or Scott Baio. Take your pick. I choose Baio.

Someone posted a comment earlier that Lucy is a charmer. I think this about sums it up for me. Jenny can see it coming when she sees us together. She's got me. She's got me locked down, figured out. She knows I'm going to be a complete pushover. William has got me too, but it's just different.

When Lucy was about a month and a half or two months, Jenny commented that I suddenly "loved" my daughter. I think this is true for all fathers. Month 1-2 you're on autopilot. All they do is sleep and when they're awake, you can't really do much to help other than change them. Then they start looking for you when you speak...then the smiles start...and that's when they get you.

It all started with a dance. I would hold Lucy up with both arms so we would be face to face. We would dance and I would sing. It always got me a couple dozen smiles and more times than not, laughing. And Jenny was right, I fell in love.

3 comments:

katie k said...

Brian, this is so nice....I am thinking of you and Jenny and your little Lucy!
-Katie (fisher) Killebrew

Amy said...

Brian,
I'm moved to tears. How wonderful you are and how lucky your family is to have you. We are thinking of you all and keeping you in our prayers.
Amy, Joe, Jack and Luke.

Liz Williams said...

I love you both so much and pray for you always. Lucy especially. I hope your experiences with all your Nurses are good ones. Love Liz (Willams)