Friday, November 20, 2009

Day 5

Last night was pretty good considering it was only her fourth night post operation. She woke up a little after midnight needing some pain meds. They take about a half hour to kick in so she and I wandered downstairs and watched some DVRed "Ellen" and "Oprah" until she started to feel more comfortable. There was something soothing about being awake in the dark and quiet of my own home with my baby girl.

She awoke again around 4:30 a.m. and this time Brian went to comfort her. Again she was in quite a bit of discomfort which is really difficult to watch. She has a tiny whimper accompanied by the biggest crocodile tears you've ever seen. That's how you really know they're hurting. When they can't even muster a cry.

When she got up for the day today I noticed the swelling has gone down quite a bit. We put her to sleep on an incline in her crib and she prefers to sleep on her side. Each time to we put her down we make sure she's on the opposite she was before. This means that her eyes alternate being swollen . It's pretty funny. First she's winking with her right eye. Then she takes a nap and when she wakes up she's winking with her left.

One of the biggest challenges we've been dealing with is that Lucy is currently on a ton of medication -- five, to be exact -- and she hates every single one of them. If she can manage, she spits them right out and into our face. So today I got a little creative and mixed four of them in warm apple juice and some baby cereal. She gobbled it up. So I think that will be the trick from now on.

After her dish of cereal I took some more pictures. These photos are more for me than anything else so that I can see the progression of change in her head but I thought you all would enjoy them as well.

No comments: