Saturday, November 14, 2009

Friday the 13th

Yesterday was not fun.

We had an appointment at Gillette's to have Lucy's blood drawn. She needed her hemoglobin and platelets checked and they needed to know her blood type for her blood transfusion.

Before the blood work the nurse gave me a little tour of preop, recovery, ICU and the general floor rooms. I wasn't super impressed. Having stayed at Children's during William's ordeal for almost two weeks I have a comparison point and Gillette's doesn't really stack up.

It was a little noisy and dingy. There is no where for me to stay on the first night except a very small shared family waiting room that is down the hall from where Lucy will be. This will be uncomfortable not only for sleeping but also the need for me to use my breastpump. On the subsequent nights there is a pullout chair for me to sleep on but nothing for Brian. Children's had full futons in every room -- even the ICU. Maybe someday when we strike it rich I'll donate some futons to Gillette's.

It's weird to me that with two healthy children I even have a comparison of the children's hospitals in the Twin Cities. But that's where we're at and we'll do anything for our kids so we're going to make it work.

After the tour it was time for the blood work.

That just reminded me of this one time when Brian and I were staying with my mom in Alexandria. We wanted to watch a movie one night and Brian made us rent Blood Work. I'm not sure if you've ever seen this little flick but don't let the fact that it stars Clint Eastwood fool you. The movie is beyond bad. Sort of like our blood work experience at Gillette.

Nice segway, eh?

ANYWAY, instead of a nurse doing the draw the anesthesiologist was in charge. It took him three time, THREE TIMES, to find a vein. And we're not talking just a finger prick here. She needed the full intravenous needle.

He tried one leg with no luck. Then he moved to the other leg where he got a little blood before he started to draw air. The third and final draw came from her arm. I was pretty livid especially since my little girl had four shots just three days earlier. By the third stick Lucy was in hysterics and completely drenched in sweat. I almost punched the doctor's lights out but thought that probably wouldn't be a good way to start our whole hospital experience.

When she was finished she looked like a battered child with all the taped up gauze.

On the positive side, Lucy was so tuckered out from all the activity that she took a four hour nap that afternoon.

Hopefully that will be the last time she'll have to be poked. On Monday all of her lines will be inserted after she's been put to sleep.

This weekend we'll be hanging low with the kiddos while we try to rest up for what will probably be a long, restless week.

1 comment:

Liz said...

have been thinking of you all daily. you guys & that beautiful little angel are in my thoughts & prayers!!! give her big kisses from the westerhaus fam. continue to keep us posted!